(Australian Associated Press)
ORGANICS ON THE RISE IN AUSTRALIA
* More than 35 million hectares (10 per cent) of all of Australia’s agricultural land is under certified organic management.
* Australia’s organic market is valued about $2.4 billion.
* Number of certified organic operators in Australia was about 4028 in 2017, a seven per cent increase on 2016.
* US, China, South Korea, Japan and Singapore are Australia’s top five export destinations for organics.
* Australia’s organic grocery market is valued about $1.1 billion.
* Additional 384,000 households bought organic foods in 2017 compared with 2016.
* Nearly half of all shoppers recognise the Australian Certified Organic logo.
* Two-thirds of those buying organic say they started for health reasons.
Data from the Australian Organic 2018 market report.